Skip to main content

Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

How do you react when things don't go the way you had planned? Do you freak out, lash out and get upset or do you take it as a hint from the Universe that it had something better, different in store?

I just spent some time in Europe with my mom to celebrate her 86th birthday. We made a rough plan for each day and now looking back, only about one or two of those plans became reality, the others had various changes from minor to total. On my mom's birthday we had planned to go out for a meal at a certain restaurant, but we missed the bus by just one minute. So there we stood watching the bus disappear and then our eyes were drawn to the sign next to the door of the restaurant by the bus stop. We looked at each other and said "why don't we eat here?" It turned out to be a delightful meal and we timed it so that we could get on the next bus to follow the rest of our plan for the day.

On my way back from Europe, I was so pleased to have finally gotten on a plane direct to Halifax instead of always having to fly to Toronto first and then backtrack to Halifax. It looked like everything was going to be just fine, even though I had heard that the weather in Halifax wasn't too good. The plane took off on time and I followed its progress on the TV display above the empty seat next to me. Over Stephenville, Newfoundland the map displayed 1:07 hours to Halifax. Then to my surprise the Halifax destination disappeared from the display and instead it said 2:27 hours to Toronto. I starred at the screen for a few minutes wondering if I was on the wrong plane, when the captain announced that due to icy runways in Halifax our flight had been diverted to Toronto. Shucks, I wanted to go home.

Once I landed in Toronto mid afternoon, I called hubby who told me that Halifax had gotten 16 cm of snow, followed by 11 hours of freezing rain and then a cold front went through and turned all roads into ice rinks and planes can't land on that. Next I got in touch with my kids, all 3 live in Toronto. First Air Canada said we would fly to Halifax at 6 pm, but that was cancelled and the passengers were told that we could get a voucher for a hotel and then re-book once the flights were going to Halifax again. I called my son who came to pick me up. The next day I re-booked my flight, but gave myself an extra day to spend with the grand-kids and my 2 daughters. I had a grand time playing with the grand-kids and had a meal out with my daughters all thanks to Air Canada. Things turned out just the way they were meant to and I arrived back home in Halifax 2 days late.

How do you handle change of plans? Do you view change as a disaster or an opportunity? I would love to read your comments.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep Tip from the Mentalist TV Show

I like watching the Mentalist TV show and yesterday I got finally around to watch my latest recorded show. To my delight and surprise Patrick Jane's character gave this tip to help you fall asleep: If you have falling asleep you can count sheep or on your in-breath say or think 1 and then when you breath out say or think 2. On your next in-breath say or think 1 and when you breath out say or think 2. Keep on repeating this and you will be surprised that when you wake up it is morning. Give it a try and then connect with me on Facebook and let me know what happened . . . counting sheep

How to Make Simple Square Foot Gardening Templates

backside of template with holes drilled I am just about ready to start planting my square foot garden . Until now I have used string and sticks to mark things, but then I got an idea of how I could easily make some templates from old plastic election signs. The material was easy to cut with a knife and a permanent marker would help with the design. At first I thought that I would need a whole bunch of templates, but as I got going I realized that I could actually get away with only 2 templates. First cut 2 12x12 inch pieces from the plastic signs Draw a grid:  template 1: 3 rows and 3 columns template 2: 4 rows and 4 columns Mark the center of each square of the grid by drawing diagonal lines Use the electric drill and a ½" drill bit and drill a hole at each center point. Template 1 Template 1 Grid of 3 row and 3 columns (9 plants - holes circled in blue) This can also be used for 1 plant per square foot (hole circled in black and then blue)

Companion Planting Chart

Have you ever heard of companion planting ? Wikipedia explains it very nicely: Companion planting is the planting of different crops in proximity (in gardening and agriculture), on the theory that they assist each other in nutrient uptake, pest control, pollination, and other factors necessary to increasing crop productivity. Companion planting is a form of polyculture. Companion planting is used by farmers and gardeners in both industrialized and developing countries for many reasons. Many of the modern principles of companion planting were present many centuries ago in cottage gardens in England and home gardens in Asia. Check out this helpful chart to find the benefits of companion planting: Let me know if you found this information helpful and write a comment.