Skip to main content

Killing Horsetails

I love gardening, but one part of my garden has those annoying horsetails. Sure, they look pretty, but they are very difficult to erradicate. They are one of the oldest plant species on the planet and have roots that can go down 8 feet, that is way taller than me.

I am always on the lookout for non toxic ways to kill weeds and have tried in the past to use a vinegar, salt and dish detergent mix (2 cups vinegar - the stronger the better, 1/8 cup salt, a squirt of dish detergent. Mix and spray. To melt the salt I have put the salt and vinegar in the microwave for 30 seconds), but it did not really work on those plants. It works quite well on other weeds. So what do to about those horsetails?

Then I remembered that using boiling water is a great way to kill weeds. First I tried to use my kitchen steamer on the weeds, but that did nothing. Then I wanted to use boiling water, but how? Well, I have an electric water kettle that I haven't used for ages. I dug it out and plugged it into my outdoor outlet and once the water boiled poured it over the horsetails. They don't seem to like it too much. The next day any above ground growth is dried up. So no I will have to see for how long I will have to repeat this to really kill them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep Tip from the Mentalist TV Show

I like watching the Mentalist TV show and yesterday I got finally around to watch my latest recorded show. To my delight and surprise Patrick Jane's character gave this tip to help you fall asleep: If you have falling asleep you can count sheep or on your in-breath say or think 1 and then when you breath out say or think 2. On your next in-breath say or think 1 and when you breath out say or think 2. Keep on repeating this and you will be surprised that when you wake up it is morning. Give it a try and then connect with me on Facebook and let me know what happened . . . counting sheep

How to Make Simple Square Foot Gardening Templates

backside of template with holes drilled I am just about ready to start planting my square foot garden . Until now I have used string and sticks to mark things, but then I got an idea of how I could easily make some templates from old plastic election signs. The material was easy to cut with a knife and a permanent marker would help with the design. At first I thought that I would need a whole bunch of templates, but as I got going I realized that I could actually get away with only 2 templates. First cut 2 12x12 inch pieces from the plastic signs Draw a grid:  template 1: 3 rows and 3 columns template 2: 4 rows and 4 columns Mark the center of each square of the grid by drawing diagonal lines Use the electric drill and a ½" drill bit and drill a hole at each center point. Template 1 Template 1 Grid of 3 row and 3 columns (9 plants - holes circled in blue) This can also be used for 1 plant per square foot (hole circled in black and then blue)

Companion Planting Chart

Have you ever heard of companion planting ? Wikipedia explains it very nicely: Companion planting is the planting of different crops in proximity (in gardening and agriculture), on the theory that they assist each other in nutrient uptake, pest control, pollination, and other factors necessary to increasing crop productivity. Companion planting is a form of polyculture. Companion planting is used by farmers and gardeners in both industrialized and developing countries for many reasons. Many of the modern principles of companion planting were present many centuries ago in cottage gardens in England and home gardens in Asia. Check out this helpful chart to find the benefits of companion planting: Let me know if you found this information helpful and write a comment.