Skip to main content

Aloha

I don't own an Ipod or Mp3 player, never felt the need for one, but I do listen to the radio, Internet radio that is, while I am working. For the last 10 years I have been listening to Hawaiian music online. It started one November day when the local radio stations started to play their Christmas music way to early for my liking. So I went on a search to find music that would be calming and not distracting while working on the computer. One thing lead to another and I discovered Hawaiian radio stations. As I didn't understand a word of Hawaiian I didn't pay attention to the lyrics of the songs and the English songs just kind of where background music.

I started with Hawaiian Hits Live, the Voice of Hawaii Unfortunately, the station shut down on January 1/2008 due to the changes with broadcasting music and payments. They just could not afford it any longer. The other station I often listen to, even now, is Hawaiian Rainbow. But my main station that I listen to for the last couple of years is KKCR Kaua'i Community Radio.
With the time difference from Nova Scotia to Hawaii, 6 hours in winter and 7 in summer as Hawaii does not change their clocks, that means I get most of their overnight programming of uninterrupted Hawaiian music. Then, when their daytime programming starts there are interesting shows where I learn a lot about Kaua'i, the garden island, and Hawaii in general. The people who live on Kaua'i are very proud of their island and very protective of it. They stopped the superferry from coming because their was no environmental impact study done. The daily surf report is important for locals and visitors alike as the waters can be dangerous. Hawaii consists of volcanic islands that rise up steeply from the ocean floor and that can create dangerous undertows. Thanks to the internet radio I can visit Hawaii virtually any time I want to, even though I can't go there physically.

After listening to Hawaiian radio for such a long time, to my surprise I have started to pick up the odd Hawaiian word here and there. I have also discovered that I prefer certain groups and singers to others. One who stands out especially is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole or Bruddah Iz how he is loving called by his fans. He was a gentle giant who died too young and left a legacy of a number of wonderful songs. It always surprises me to have such a voice in a body his size. His rendition of 'Somewhere over the rainbow' that has been used in movies.

Mahalo for listening to my ramblings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep Tip from the Mentalist TV Show

I like watching the Mentalist TV show and yesterday I got finally around to watch my latest recorded show. To my delight and surprise Patrick Jane's character gave this tip to help you fall asleep: If you have falling asleep you can count sheep or on your in-breath say or think 1 and then when you breath out say or think 2. On your next in-breath say or think 1 and when you breath out say or think 2. Keep on repeating this and you will be surprised that when you wake up it is morning. Give it a try and then connect with me on Facebook and let me know what happened . . . counting sheep

How to Make Simple Square Foot Gardening Templates

backside of template with holes drilled I am just about ready to start planting my square foot garden . Until now I have used string and sticks to mark things, but then I got an idea of how I could easily make some templates from old plastic election signs. The material was easy to cut with a knife and a permanent marker would help with the design. At first I thought that I would need a whole bunch of templates, but as I got going I realized that I could actually get away with only 2 templates. First cut 2 12x12 inch pieces from the plastic signs Draw a grid:  template 1: 3 rows and 3 columns template 2: 4 rows and 4 columns Mark the center of each square of the grid by drawing diagonal lines Use the electric drill and a ½" drill bit and drill a hole at each center point. Template 1 Template 1 Grid of 3 row and 3 columns (9 plants - holes circled in blue) This can also be used for 1 plant per square foot (hole circled in black and then blue)

Companion Planting Chart

Have you ever heard of companion planting ? Wikipedia explains it very nicely: Companion planting is the planting of different crops in proximity (in gardening and agriculture), on the theory that they assist each other in nutrient uptake, pest control, pollination, and other factors necessary to increasing crop productivity. Companion planting is a form of polyculture. Companion planting is used by farmers and gardeners in both industrialized and developing countries for many reasons. Many of the modern principles of companion planting were present many centuries ago in cottage gardens in England and home gardens in Asia. Check out this helpful chart to find the benefits of companion planting: Let me know if you found this information helpful and write a comment.